Sunday, October 2, 2016

Play Date: Construction

For September, I decided to do a construction themed play date - partly because my kid LOVES everything digger and construction, partly because I did a construction theme for his birthday and I could re-use some of the stuff.

Activities:

Sand & Digging
I was originally planning to have the kids play outside in our sand play area, but the weather didn't cooperate, so we were inside...with SAND! To keep things under control, I decided to try making kinetic sand.

Here is the recipe I used:
Kinetic Sand
5 c. play sand (you can get it at a local big box hardware store or from your sand box)
3 c. flour
1 c. oil (I used vegetable oil and I added another 1/4 cup)

For my purposes I made 2 of these recipes, put it in an old photo developing tray and mixed it up. When everything was mixed, I added some diggers and trucks, a couple of plastic spoons and forks, and a couple of plastic scoops. I also grabbed some rocks from outside and put them in bowls next to the sand.

Painting with Trucks
I put a few different colors of paint on a cookie sheet lined with foil and got a package of 5 small CAT construction machines at a local store. The kids rolled the construction vehicles in the paint and then on their papers.


Truck Wash
I put a few inches of water in a plastic bin and added a little bit of dish soap. The kids had (new) toothbrushes they could use to scrub their trucks. They love playing in water and bubbles, and this was a great way to wash hands and trucks after sand and paint. Of course a couple of kids attempted to brush their teeth!

Hammering Golf Tees
I got florist foam from a big craft store (cheaper than the styrofoam in the art section) and a package of golf tees. We already had a couple of plastic hammers for the kids to use. I started the foam blocks by lightly pushing some tees in. The kids mostly just pushed tees into the foam rather than hammering, but they really enjoyed doing so. And then they pulled them out and did it all again!

I also put out our other toys related to construction -
-trucks and diggers
-blocks (plastic Mega blocks and wooden building blocks)
-plastic tool box and workbench

No comments:

Post a Comment