Sunday, October 9, 2016

Fall Decorating

This year I wanted to keep decorations simple, but I LOVE fall...even though it takes forever to get to Houston. I really love decorations that can last through more than one holiday, too.

I found this great idea for color wrapping wheat stalks. It was so easy to do, you can use any colors you want and is a simple/elegant/casual Fall decoration that can last from September through Thanksgiving. (I did mine while binge watching Outlander.)

I had wanted to try my hand at some melted crayon art and saw an idea for melting crayons over the top of pumpkins (somewhere). SO COOL! It was pretty easy, but it took a little while for the crayons to heat up enough to melt, and I had to keep the hair dryer on a low enough speed that it didn't blow the crayon bits off.




Melted Crayon Pumpkins

Materials:
pumpkins
crayons
hair dryer
newspaper/parchment paper
glue (optional)

I started by washing off my pumpkins. I placed the pumpkins on a cookie sheet that I use for crafts, but you could use newspaper or parchment paper. Then I had O help me choose colors, and I broke small pieces off of the crayons and placed them around the top of the pumpkins. For my little pumpkins I only needed about 3 small pieces for each one. (If you want to use glue to hold the crayons in place as they begin to melt, just glue them in place and let the glue dry before proceeding.)

Then I held the hair dyer over the top to heat up the crayons. It might take a couple of tries to get the best setting, depending on your hair dryer. A setting that is hot, but not powerful works best. Once I saw that the wax was melting, I tipped the pumpkins in different directions to get it to drip over the sides.

Let them cool. And you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment