Monday, July 14, 2014

Alphabet Series: The next steps - painting

Back to the alphabet series...I now have about 10 weeks until Baby Weatherwax arrives, so it is time to get things going if I want the paintings to already be hanging on the wall.

I was on a roll at the end of May - I had just gotten back from a beach vacation and hubby was out of town on work, so I could spread my papers, paints, etc. out on the dining room table and not worry about cleaning things up. At that time, I was able to get the majority of the canvases painted with white paint. I wanted to white out the "positive space" of the image to give myself a blank canvas to work on and to create a layered look in the final paintings. This step went pretty quickly, but because of the paint I bought, I had to do multiple coats of white to get the coverage I wanted - on some of the papers I applied four coats.

Then my sister and her boyfriend came over for dinner -
so the dining room table got cleaned off and all of the materials were returned to my "studio" area (umm, really it is more of a room to hold my art supplies - it does have a table to "work" on but really is currently horizontal storage) and the canvases were stacked up. (Not to mention I still needed to buy papers for about five of the canvases.)

Agra, India: Taj Mahal and peacock

Rio de Janiero: Christ the Redeemer and Carnaval dancer

Xian, China: Terracotta Warriors and panda

A month later...
The canvases are still sitting stacked on my art table. Granted, I went on vacation and have had other projects to work on, but yesterday, I reclaimed the dining room table as a work space and started painting the details. After a full eight hours of painting, I finished four letters. As the paintings are completed, I will post them each in their own posts. I am still deciding the best way to include the alphabet letter / the name of the city / the name of the experience, site, etc. so if you have any ideas, let me know. Right now I am thinking about printing the city, country and applying it as a collage element.

No comments:

Post a Comment